COUNTY DECLARATION OF DISASTER
Bosque County IS NOT under a Burn Ban
You should always take precautions when burning trash or engaging in any type of outdoor burning activity. Outdoor burning is permissible as long as there is not a burn ban in effect, but negligent outdoor burning is a crime. If you are planning to burn outdoors, please contact the Bosque County SO before burning at 254-435-2363.
A burn ban doesn’t have to be in effect for outdoor burning to be illegal. Negligently allowing your fire to escape onto someone else’s property is a Class C misdemeanor offense (the same as violation of a burn ban) that is punishable by a fine up to $500.
Deliberately setting fire to someone else’s property is arson, which is a felony offense punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and a prison term of from 2 years to 99 years in prison.
Consider these tips for outdoor burning:
- Create a defensible space of at least 30 feet around your house and outbuildings; closely mow lawns and trees should be pruned and spaced widely apart.
- Establish fuel breaks along roadways and between buildings and fields or woodlands.
- Keep mufflers and spark arresters on agricultural equipment in proper working order and watch out for rocks and metal when bush hogging or mowing.
- Monitor hay-baling operations closely, dry hay can ignite within the baler.
- Watch out for sparks when using welding equipment to build fences or repair equipment.
- Avoid driving or parking vehicles in grassy areas where tall, dry grass comes into contact with hot pollution control equipment under vehicles.
- Postpone outdoor burning until your area greens up.
- When debris burning is allowed, establish wide control lines down to bare mineral soil prior to lighting your fire.
- Burn trash in a burn barrel or other fire-safe receptacle covered with a wire mesh or gird that will help contain burning debris. Stay with your fire until it is out.
We all have a part to play in keeping ourselves, neighbors and friends safe when we burn. If you have any questions please contact OEM at 254-435-2807.